Tuesday 13 June 2017

Watch out British Airways, there is plenty of competition about


This is not a paid post.

Sitting on a British Airways flight to Singapore recently, I found myself wishing that I had flown with Etihad Airways. A few months earlier I was a passenger on Etihad's new Airbus A380 in economy to Abu Dhabi and was amazed by the service, the food and the aircraft. It was almost like being in a hotel – even the loos were well decorated and pleasant to use. Etihad’s employees are proud to work for the company and it comes over. The crew cannot do enough for you.



Etihad Airways A380 was amazing




Now here I was on a British Airways flight in Premium Economy flying to Sydney via Singapore on an aircraft (Boeing 777) that was beyond disappointing. The service and food were poor. I thought longingly of the perfectly-cooked chicken breast I had on my Etihad flight.

We arrived into Singapore in the evening yet BA served a mediocre breakfast. Well, at least the entertainment system worked and offered all the latest movies.

Things did not improve on the flight from Singapore to Sydney, though the crew were slightly more attentive. 

Going from Sydney to Auckland I travelled with Qantas operated by Jetstar. I expected the same service that I had recently experienced on a short-haul flight out of Heathrow with BA to Helsinki. You paid for refreshments and there was no flight entertainment.

I was in for a real treat on my two-and-a-half hour journey with Qantas which was a slightly shorter flying time.

Everything was spotlessly clean. I was handed a welcome drink as soon as I sat down. I wondered if I had turned left instead of right as I was booked on economy. I had a screen which I thought was not going to be operational. How wrong I was. I watched Lion.

The chicken couscous salad was so good that if I had bought it in a café I would have been pleased. The wines were of a high standard. The red was served at the right temperature. I even got an ice cream for desert. The crew was warm and friendly. I would certainly want to fly with this airline again.



Cathay Pacific was another wonderful experience


Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific in Premium Economy was another wonderful experience. Service and food excellent. Two proper meals served on this 10-hour flight. There was even a glass of champagne to welcome you on board. (With BA now you have to ask for it – even in Business Class.) Travelling with BA on its A380 from Hong Kong to London was a let-down after being treated so well by other airlines. 

Everybody is human and can make a mistake which is why I am giving BA another chance and flying with them again this month.

This time, I hope, I will see the British Airways that I knew and loved and have so loyally used for years. 

By Daralyn Danns

Etihad Airways is the national carrier of the UAE and offers three daily flights between London Heathrow and Abu Dhabi. Etihad Airways also flies from Manchester and Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi. For reservations and further details visit etihad.com or call 0345 608 1225

A return fare departing from London – Melbourne via Abu Dhabi starts from £659 in economy class. (You can fly to Sydney. For rates check website.) This fare price is inclusive of all taxes and subject to availability

Cathay Pacific flies from Heathrow via Hong Kong to Australia (make sure that Cathay Pacific is operating the flight and not just code sharing). There are 5 daily flights to HKG using 777-300s and from June 2017, a daily direct flight from Gatwick on its new A350. There are good connections through to Sydney. For best rates and details of departures from regional airports visit cathaypacific.com

Qantas flies to Sydney from London Heathrow and Gatwick. For details of departures from regional airports and stopovers as well as best rates visit qantas.com Check that Qantas is operating the flight and not just code sharing