Friday 5 May 2017

Destination Oahu, Hawaii


This is not a paid post.


The dulcet tones of Elvis Presley singing “Can’t Help Falling in Love” as I sat with my mum watching the film Blue Hawaii is one of my earliest memories. She was an Elvis fan and, I, two years old, was watching this with her. “Diss (this, in baby talk),” I pointed and shouted happily as I looked at the bluest of seas ringed by pearl-white sands. “I want diss!” I grabbed my little bag and teddy as well. 

My mum tried to explain to me that Hawaii was far, far way and I started crying when it appeared obvious that the film was over and we were going nowhere. “When you are a big girl, you can go,” she said.

That memory stayed with me. Hawaii was my dream destination. It was what I thought would be heaven on earth. Fast forward 20 years and I made my first visit to Oahu, the third largest Hawaiian island and one that featured in Blue Hawaii. 



Waikiki
Courtesy of

Hawaii Tourism Europe




On the “gathering place” as Oahu is often called, old traditions and values of the native Hawaiian people blended harmoniously with American culture (in 1959, it became the 50th member of the United States) to create an exotic ambience. The Aloha Spirit was intoxicating. Aloha seems to have several meanings. Used as a greeting or to say good bye, it also means mutual regard and affection. 

To me it was an attitude. From the moment I arrived and a beautiful orchid lei was hung round my neck, I encountered a warmth and friendliness that I had never experienced before and never have again to this day. On this island I found my inner energy and a wonderful calmness.

This tropical nirvana was everything I had fantasied about and so much more. The heady air filled with the scent of flowers. Rugged mountains hovering over beautiful beaches, even a rain forest, Hawaii also fizzed with a strong urban feel. Doses of gorgeous sunshine and romantic sunsets added to the drama. Hawaii was some natural beauty. 

While I was not up to learning the secrets of surfing on the legendary Waikiki beach, watching was fun. Towering hotels, swaying palm trees and designer shops together with wonderful restaurants have put Waikiki on the map as an international tourist destination. 




Blue Hawaii
Courtesy of Courtesy of
Hawaii Tourism Europe




Getting my first glimpse of Diamond Head just beyond Waikiki’s coastline was far more exciting than I imagined. Known locally as Leahi, this 760-foot tuff crater and Hawaii’s most recognised landmark got its name in the 19th century from British sailors who thought they had found diamonds on its slopes. It turned out they were actually calcite crystals which were worthless. Hopefully, they found, as I did, that the true value of a visit was the gorgeous views of Waikiki. Priceless!

Nor do you have to be a surfer to appreciate the raw beauty of the Island’s North Shore. From farms to art galleries and boutiques, to spotting Hawaiian sea turtles, whales and dolphins, this is a far cry from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Honolulu. 

Oahu is not just about sand, sea and surf, there is culture here too. In downtown Honolulu is the Iolani Palace, the only official royal palace in the US. Apparently, it even had electricity before the White House. This residence of the Hawaiian Kingdom’s last two monarchs from 1882 to 1893, I imagine, could tell a tale or two about political intrigue. 

It was a hot summer’s day when I visited Pearl Harbour. I felt like I had walked into a fridge. On December 7 1941 the Japanese Naval Forces bombed Pearl Harbour and for the United States, it was where World War II began. 

I watched the steely grey ships contrast starkly with the blue waters. It was so moving being there. The white USS Arizona Memorial, marking the final resting place for many of the 1,177 crewmen killed that day, glistened in the sun. The visit, which you get to by shuttle boat operated by the US Navy, left an indelible mark on my memory.

At night it is time to party and get ready for some hula. There is nothing like going to your first Luau, a typical Hawaiian feast accompanied by dancing. Make it special and go to the Royal Hawaiian hotel. The “Pink Palace of the Pacific” as it is fondly called, has been attracting the good and the great since it first opened its doors in 1927. 

Over the years I have been back and have always fell under the magical spell of Hawaii. I have hopped over to Maui, another magnificent vision and Kauai where no building can be higher than a palm tree. 

But it is to the legendary Kahala Hotel & Resort that has opened its doors to royalty and presidents on Oahu where I have spent many a happy day that I long to return.

As the song says: “dreams come true in Blue Hawaii”. And they do!

By Daralyn Danns

Getting there

Virgin Atlantic with Delta Air fly to Honolulu from London. (You change planes in Los Angeles.) For more information visit virginatlantic.com

Stay at the Kahala Hotel & Resort kahalaresort.com