Thursday 16 June 2016

Spotlight on Aveeno


When a dermatologist who is not connected to a company tells you that they are using a brand there has to be something special about it. So having sensitive skin, I decided to put Aveeno under the spotlight.

The brand dates back to 1945 when brothers Sidney and Albert Musher in conjunction with the Mayo Clinic Dermatology Centre in America, began experimenting with raw cereals including oats which, apparently, have been used in skin care for centuries due to their soothing properties. The result was Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment.






Over the last 50 years there has been clinical evidence to support the benefits of formulations containing colloidal (finely milled) oatmeal for dry, irritated skin.

“The products simply work," says Dr Shefali Rajpopat, another consultant dermatologist that I spoke to regarding Aveeno. She went on to tell me that "my clients who suffer from eczema find they help relieve it and that is why I recommend the line". 

The first item I tried was the Aveeno Bath and Shower Oil (£7.70). My dry and sensitive skin felt lovely and soft as I stepped out of the shower. After using so many fragranced products it did take me a while to get used to the subtle cereal scent but it quickly grew on me and I have now become fond of it.




As much as it may be tempting to stay in the shower, you should avoid long, hot soakings as they can strip the skin of its protective oils. 

I have also been using the Aveeno Cream (from £6.90) which is lovely and soothing especially if you have weather-beaten skin. It works well on areas such as feet and elbows which are always particularly dry.

When you come out of the shower or bath, Dr Rajpopat recommends gently patting your skin dry with a towel and, while your skin is moist, applying your moisturiser to lock it in.

Also impressive is the Aveeno Skin Relief Restore and Protect Hand Cream (£5.99). My hands are always dry and this wonder in a tube brought immediate relief and made my hands feel moist for hours. It is one of the best I have come across.

Aveeno is certainly worth trying to keep dry skin at bay. If you are an eczema suffer, ask your doctor or dermatologist if it would be suitable for you.

By Daralyn Danns