Friday 3 June 2016

A visit to Michael Charalambous at Nyumba, Chelsea, London


From rock stars to royalty, Michael Charalambous at Nyumba attracts the good and the great. He is also a favourite with fashion and beauty editors because he really knows about hair. A cut from the mane man is a work of art.

Michael will never let you be stuck in a hair rut. He is always updating my look and is definitely one step ahead of you.








When he cut my hair to all one length, I was delighted. My hair looked thicker and has been easier to manage. I thought this is it. This will be my signature style.


The maestro had other ideas. “When I cut a fringe into your hair, it was short. Now it is long and you are back to your natural dark colour which works well with your pale skin, I want an even more dramatic look for you. We are growing your fringe out.”


I never saw that one coming. Michael moved my parting from the side to slightly off centre. It looked pretty good. I was amazed how many people noticed that I looked different and as one man said: “I like the new hairdo. You look so much younger.” With compliments like that, it shows how Michael has his finger on the pulse and knows when it is time for a change.


We got on to the subject of hairstyles in general. Michael had showed me a magazine which had an article about choosing the right hairstyle for your age. It stops at 40,” he wailed. “Why?” Women want to look good at any age. We then started to talk about hair length. When is the right time to cut your hair? There are lots of women of a certain age with long hair, but it can be ageing.

Michael’s tip is to keep an eye on it. “Hair tends to snap off and break as you age. This can be down to hormonal changes,” he said.  “As soon as it becomes wispy and transparent, cut it. Hair should also be glossy. If your hair is dull and lifeless, it will make you look older.”

He also advocates having a fringe as it will hide wrinkles. “Have your hair professionally blow-dried. At the salon we can offer a range of products and change them on a weekly basis to suit your needs.”

Going on holiday? Michael’s answer is to get a wig. “You will never have a bad hair day,” he adds. 

If there was such a thing as a god of hair. It would be Michael Charalambous. The man is pure genius.

By Daralyn Danns


For more information visit www.nyumbasalon.com or follow on instagram.com/nyumbasalon