Monday 29 February 2016

How to style your hair sleek and smooth



There is an array of products out there that promise sleek, smooth hair and aim to banish frizz. Some work better than others. But, the secret to getting your hair to looked polished and chic is in the way you blow-dry.

When the hair cuticles lie flat moisture, which causes the hair to frizz, is repelled. The level surface reflects more light so hair appears shinier. 





Hairdressers make working with a round brush look so easy. When you are styling your own locks trying to hold a hairdryer in one hand and a brush in the other can be difficult.

I found a really good trick to create tension, without using a brush, is to take each section of the hair and pull it taut with your hand. Hold it at the bottom then point the nozzle of the dryer downwards. Then repeat until all your hair is almost dry. 




My favourite ghd Oval Dressing Brush


Hold the dryer at least six inches away from the hair and take care to not to hold the dryer in one spot for too long. When the dryer gets hot, switch to a lower heat setting. My hair comes out looking shiny and glossy without any fluffiness in sight. 

In the areas I want extra body, I first lift the hair on the root area with my favourite ghd Oval Dressing Brush (£20, ghdhair.com) in the opposite direction I want it to fall. 

To finish off, I take my ghd brush again and slightly bend the ends under. I like the fact that it has a non-slip handle and is made from bristle which is a natural fibre so will not create static which plastic tends to do and, I find, it grips the hair better. It also helps to distribute the hair’s own oils so it is good for grooming.

Not only does my mane look better using this drying method, it also saves me time.

By Daralyn Danns