Friday 4 September 2015

The Kameha Spa at the Kameha Grand Zűrich



Gazing at the Alps while taking in the fresh air from the Kameha Spa’s rooftop terrace seemed such a far cry from my usual daily grind of navigating the fumes of London’s West End. This was the perfect spot to engage in a little quiet contemplation and unwind before having my beauty treatment.

The Kameha Grand hotel achieves the wow factor with its quirkiness and clever design so I expected its spa to be equally scintillating. Yes, this is an establishment that knows the meaning of the word luxury.  

Being tired and not looking my best, I was in dire need of some serious pampering. This sanctuary for mind and body was the ideal prescription to restore me to mint condition. Saunas, steam baths and well-kitted out treatment rooms with a superb lounge where you can chill-out on relaxation beds sipping tea or munching on fruit, what is not to like?




Chill-out on relaxation beds





The spa team, like everybody else in the hotel, is passionate about service. Its mission is to ensure you have the best experience possible. Looking at the array of wellness and beauty treatments on offer, I was spoilt for choice. I was tempted by the Signature Treatment of Mountain Herbs, a full body massage using Mountain Herbs Body Oil. A facial rounds off the two-hour session. 

However, with time being of the essence and my neglected hands and feet needing some TLC, I chose the classic manicure and pedicure. Not only did I emerge looking a great deal more glamorous, I was also revitalised as both included some much-needed massage for my tired and aching limbs.

After getting rid of hard skin and getting my nails into ship-shape condition, my excellent therapist Linda chose a pretty light mocha colour by Alessandro, a luxury nail and hand-care brand, which suited my skin tone.  

Also impressive are the beauty products that have been selected to reflect Swiss luxury such as Spa Manufactur which uses herbs, flowers and oils from the Alps, and for men, Artemis of Switzerland, renowned for its combination of high-tech and nature.  




Have a steam bath




I had been wickedly enticed by the Kameha Grand’s rather extravagant breakfast which offered a wide array of dishes including smoked salmon, a vast selection of Swiss cheeses, cold meats and delicious breads and pastries. So, after stuffing myself to the limit, I really should have been heading for the Fitness Power House to try out the latest in workout equipment.

But I was on holiday and as my feet had been restored to their peak, a gentle stroll discovering Zurich was my choice of activity. Not too energetic and definitely therapeutic.

In the evening, I returned to the spa for the Rooftop Summer Party. The terrace where I had been admiring the view earlier was the ideal venue to hold a soirée. 

The music playing, the fizz flowing and scrumptious canapés to munch on, I listened intently to guests, mainly people who lived near-by, telling me how they spend weekends sunbathing on the terrace and getting rejuvenated at this haven of serenity.

I could feel myself turning a little green. To be able to come here on a regular basis to ease the stresses and strains of everyday life made me a tad envious. Unfortunately, London was calling me back.

By Daralyn Danns  


Getting there


British Airways currently flies from London City to Zurich up to 4 times a day. Each-way hand baggage only fares are available from £69 (based on a return hand baggage only fare) and are available to book on www.ba.com/londoncity

 

(In addition BA has services from Heathrow with connections also available from across the UK and Ireland.)

All British Airways fares include online check-in 24 hours before departure, complimentary refreshments and drinks on board and no debit card charges

Customers have a quick and easy journey through the Docklands airport, with hand baggage it takes just 15 minutes to get from kerbside to airside

Kameha Grand Zurich (Tel: +41 44 525 5000 Email: zuerich@kameha.com Website: www.kamehagrandzuerich.com) offers accommodation in the heart of Zurich. Rates start from £225 per room (per night). Visit the website for more information about the spa and packages