Monday 12 January 2015

New year calls for a hair change



Since Daniel Galvin’s star colourist Daisy Twyman had taken my hair darker, it has lasted longer and hardly faded. I was really pleased with the result, so much so that I asked Daisy to take out the remaining “gold” in my prescription. The look on her face said it all, sheer horror. It will be too dark.

However, as I said I would take the risk and also knowing that this lady’s expertise would not have me ending up looking like I was going for an interview for Cruella de Vil, we went ahead.

The result was stunning. It shows the difference a fraction of a shade can make. For the first time in ages I was actually wearing pink,  a colour I liked and used to wear a lot as it warmed my complexion. I was back to my natural colour and am loving it. 

Luckily, I hadn’t been too naughty using too many heated appliances during the festive season, but if you have, give them a rest over the next few weeks and get your hair back into condition with the regular use of treatments in the salon or/and at home. You have heard it before, but  a well-balanced diet will also help.






If the ends are looking ragged, stylist Emma Mitchell suggests having a slight trim to make your cut look sharper. “Going for a blunt cut will make your hair appear shinier,” she says. I can vouch for that. When I had my hair layered, I noticed it did not reflect light as well as it did now and also my hair appeared frizzier.

Daisy also suggests freshening up your colour using vegetable colours which tend to be kinder on the hair as they coat it rather than penetrate the cuticle. They will wash out gradually. If your hair is really porous, they can grab the ends and you may find them much darker than the rest of the hair. 

Before using any home colorants, always seek the advice of a professional. Daniel Galvin can make up colours that you can apply at home so there should not be any risk.

If you see the new year as an opportunity to reinvent yourself, you are best to stay within a couple of shades of your natural colour. However, like with me, it sometimes only takes a small tweak to make a huge impact.

By Daralyn Danns



Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)