Friday 27 June 2014

Essential make-up items



When applying make-up you are creating an image that you want to show to the world. Whether you like to wear a lot or a little is always a personal choice. 

Some people need more than others depending on hair colour and skin tone. I have always liked only a subtle look as I have strong features I tend to look strange when I am overdone. Even lipstick can age me dramatically.

While there has been a lot of talk recently about women going bare-faced in public, my attitude is if you feel comfortable and look good why not? It saves time in the morning and in the evening. Besides, you don’t have to worry about make-up meltdown.

However, most of us look better with a bit of help. Some days you need more than others. If I am sitting at my computer all day and just popping to the shops, I often wear the bare essentials. 

I never leave the house (maybe in the depth of winter) without wearing sunscreen. I use several depending on where I am going, the time of year and how long I will be out. 




A good one is Crème de la Mer The SPF 50 UV Protecting Fluid (£65). It is great for daily protection as it has all the benefits of its renowned Miracle Broth and has a light silky texture which quickly absorbs into the skin. This gem offers protection against both UVA and UVB rays (3:1 UVA / UVB ratio.) as well as helping to protect the skin from discolouration. It also contains anti-oxidant benefits as well as giving your complexion a radiant glow.

When I need a bit more help and am not going to spend too much time in the sun I turn to YSL’s  CC Crème Forever Light Creator in Rose (£30). It has SPF 35 as well as offering defence against UVA rays, (you don’t put this on as thickly as you would a sunscreen). It evens out skin tone and gives you a lovely natural rosy glow. It contains a high-tech complex which, the company says, can focus on colour correction in the long-term as well.

You can use this after your skincare and before make-up, but I tend to wear it just over moisturiser, buffing it into the skin and then apply a light sweeping of blusher.

I’ll vary the shade of blusher dependent on my skin tone. My go-to brands are Bobbi Brown, Mac and Chanel. I also have a couple of Clinque’s which I love. 






For a more polished look, I will sweep on a coat of mascara, always combed through with an old mascara brush so it looks natural. Presently, I am using Clinique Lash Power Feathering Mascara (£18). It gives me lovely thick natural-looking lashes without being gooey.

For speed, I quickly apply a eyeliner as close as possible along the upper lash line keeping it as thin as possible. It makes the lashes appear thicker so you don’t need to wear mascara.

My favourite is Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner in Violet Night (£18) which has a lovely, subtle shimmer.  This gel-based pencil stayed put after a long-haul flight!

Clarins Lip Balm Crayon in Delicious Plum (£18) looks like my natural lip colour. I mix this with its wonderful HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm (£19) as I have a lot of colour in my own lips and don’t like a notice-me mouth. 

The My Pink reacts with the PH of your lips to make your own special shade.


By Daralyn Danns