Wednesday 23 April 2014

The magic of Daniel Galvin



I have to thank colour queen Daisy Twyman at the highly-acclaimed Daniel Galvin salon for enhancing my life.

A friend who first  met me a few years ago when I had ash blonde highlights running through my hair remarked when she caught up with me the other day: “It looked great, but now I have seen you brunette, I feel this is the real you. It is dramatic. Absolutely amazing!”

For me too, it has opened up a whole new world re what colours I can now wear and also I feel that it suits my personality better.

It also didn’t fade as much this time. “We only need to do the roots and refresh it, this time,” said Daisy. “It hasn’t turned yellow at all.”

Colours will fade differently depending on the head of hair and on the underlying pigment,” Daisy explained.  “If your hair has a lot of warmth in it, then it will fade to a warmer tone. Going darker will stop it fading too light.”






But, before you decide to choose to go from blonde to dark brown or from black to blonde, Daisy advises you to stop and think who you are. It may not be just your character that may change with a new hair colour, you will also have to rethink your wardrobe and make-up.

If you are over 35, you should reassess your hair colour on a regular basis as your skin tone will change as you age and also the quality of your hair can alter, becoming weaker and finer. Even the most oily locks tend to become drier. Go too dark and you can look like you are going for an interview for the role of Morticia from the Addams Family, go too light and you could end up looking like a ghost searching for a house to haunt.

Daisy suggests not going for an all-over solid block colour. Instead she advocates having a lighter shade round the hairline and not taking the colour through every time you visit the salon. “Just refresh the ends, so you get a multi-tonal effect,” she says. 

Also make sure your colourist is honest with you. Daniel Galvin, himself, told me that my hair is now not suitable for highlights. “On some hair types, it is better to avoid them,” added Daisy.

To help colour from fading, try to shampoo less often. The more you wash your hair, the quicker the colour will come out. Also protect your hair before using heated appliances.

During the winter it is easier to go longer between shampoos. “It will be interesting to see what happens to your hair between now and the next visit,” says Daisy.

So, watch this space!

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)