Monday 11 November 2013

Visit to Nyumba



It was over three months since I last had my hair cut and I have to admit I would not have left it so long had it not been for the fact that I was following the orders of hair supremo Michael Charalambous.

He has been cutting my hair for years and felt that as my hair was in much better condition (I had got rid of all the highlights ) it was time for a change of hairstyle. In other words, grow it all one length (except for a side-sweeping fringe) and wear it longer.

I have to admit I have rather liked swishing a mane around over the summer. I found my hair much easier to manage as I could tie it back in the hot weather and the length weighs the hair down, so it is easier to keep it frizz free.




If I did get an attack, I would use a few drops of Kérastase Elixir Ultime Rose Millénaire +Oléo Complex (£34.50), twist my hair into a knot and put on a shower cap. After my shower any fuzzy bits seemed to have disappeared. I also put a little in the ends at night to keep the hair well moisturised.

“We only need to take off a couple of centimetres (¾ of an inch),” Michael declared. “Hair is generally less layered for the coming season and is also darker.”

For brunettes, Michael suggests going a couple of shades darker for winter. If you are light brown make it richer. For blondes, it is all about a distribution of light. “For example, try two-thirds chestnut blonde,” he advises. “What you want to do is apply the same colours, but change the proportions.

Michael also suggests using a hair mask once a week to maintain the hair’s health. Leonor Greyl has a good selection. I particularly like the Masque Fleurs de Jasmin (£33.97). A cocktail of essentials oils, organic acids and proteins, it nourishes the hair leaving it lovely and shiny. If your hair is extra dry, damp your locks before you go to bed and apply the treatment. In the morning wash it out and shampoo and condition your hair as normal. You should see a remarkable difference when your hair is styled.

He also says try to avoid over-using heated appliances. If you have shoulder-length hair or longer, he suggests letting your hair dry naturally overnight and then in the morning, divide it into four sections and tong it to create soft waves. “Ensure you leave the ends of the hair out as this will make it look more natural. The next day you can comb it through. “This way you don’t have to wash your hair every day,” he says.

My hair was lovely. I always feel when Michael has done my hair I am ready to walk down the red carpet.

By Daralyn Danns

For appointments with Michael visit www.nyumbasalon.com