Friday 21 June 2013

Fixing a bad hair day



If it wasn’t bad enough that my roots were in dire need of some attention, I also managed to get caught in the rain and my newly blow-dried hair frizzed. That is surely enough to make any girl feel grumpy, especially when you happen to be on the way to a press launch for a new hair range.

Color Wow is the latest venture from Gail Federici, the co-founder of John Frieda’s hair care company. Gail started her presentation, mentioning changes that happen when you start colouring your hair such as it becomes drier, especially if you have highlights, more prone to frizz, colour fades and, of course, there is regrowth.

In short, she pointed out that you spend a lot of money having your hair coloured to look good, but it all too quickly starts losing that “I have just left the salon look”. 



Color Wow Root Cover Up


Roots are the bane of most women’s life when you start colouring your hair, especially if you have any dreaded greys.

But, it was when she talked about her first product, Root Cover Up, which comes in four shades (£28, uk.spacenk.com).that I started to pay attention.

“The next hand-held device to change your life,” was how she described it. I saw the demonstrations, but as they say the proof of the pudding …

Stylist supremo Kevin Moss, and a member of Gail’s team, adeptly whizzed out a palette containing the “miracle powder” and, with the photo retouch tool, magically covered up my roots. “Now, you are ready to say yes, when a hot date calls up and asks you out for a drink,” he said.

I must admit that the powder wasn’t sticky and didn’t look dull as is the case with so many of them. It actually blended in well with my hair and looked natural. I half-expected it to blow away or end up all over my pillow, but next morning it was still in place. In fact, it lasted until I washed my hair. Root cover up has now become a beauty necessity.

The other products in the range that I like are the Color Security Shampoo (£16.50), which even though it is sulfate-free, produces a rich lather and the matching conditioner (£16.5) for fine to normal hair.  

Gail told me that I would find my hair easier to blow-dry. Yes, it did help smooth the cuticle. Once I had finished blow-drying I applied a light touch of Pop & Lock Crystallite Shellac (£14.50) which contains mica that helps make the hair look shinier.

Going out on a damp, dismal day, I noticed my hair didn’t go as puffy as usual, probably because the cuticle was smoother. And, that is something worth raising a glass to!

By Daralyn Danns