Tuesday 2 April 2013

Up-dos



“Your hair doesn’t do layers,” said hair genius Michael Charalambous of Mayfair’s Nyumba.

Since Michael has got rid of the layers in my hair, it has been much easier to manage. This time, he has made the fringe more pronounced and made the front almost one length. The hair appears thicker and has more weight to hold it down, so it doesn’t get as frizzy when the weather is damp.

Longer hair is easier to style differently. Sometimes for a change I wear it straight, although usually I tend to work with my natural movement as it is easier to manage.

I wear my hair up when I am having a bad hair day and from time to time, Michael has put it up for a special occasion. Although, come the autumn, I may wear it up more often as there were plenty of up-dos shown on the autumn/winter 2013 catwalks.




Michael points out that almost everybody can wear their hair up. It is just a matter of finding a look that suits you and works with your hair texture and length as well as with what you are wearing.

According to Michael, if you have an oval face you can pull off most styles. A round face can be softened with a fringe. Be careful with deep-side partings as they can make your face look wider. If you have a square jaw line, let a few pieces of hair fall on to the face. Too much height at the crown can make a face appear longer.

Even if I am going to put my hair up, I always run a little hair oil through the ends to stop me winding up with frizz. A recent one that I have added to my collection is L’Oréal Paris Elvive ExtraOrdinary Oil for coloured hair (£9.99). I am also a fan of L’Oréal Paris Elnett So Sleek Hairspray (£3.79).

So whether you want to knot your hair, plait it or take a chignon and give it a modern twist, or simply wear it matte and messy, you will find a look to suit you this summer.

By Daralyn Danns

Nyumba (www.nyumbasalon.com)