Monday 8 October 2012

Daniel Galvin’s team is performing miracles



After a long summer, it was time to put my locks back into the capable hands of Liz Edmonds, colour director at Daniel Galvin.

Even though I had been out in the sun, the colour hadn’t faded too much. I know that my tresses are well and truly back on to the road of recovery, because I can now wear blushers that match my skin tone, rather than ones that matched my hair and also I am starting to suit brighter-coloured clothes once again.




The best news is that the condition of my hair has improved immensely since I met Liz. I never thought that I would be able to have long hair again and now it is passed my shoulders. It shows you really do have to be careful not to overdo the highlights.

For the autumn, Liz said it needed to be slightly richer. This is a word that always needs defining when talking to colourists.

“When I say richer, I mean hazelnut, more golden-based shades as opposed to coppery hues or chestnut,” says Liz. “This season, there are a lot of plumy-toned clothes, rich blue-red colours, so hair can’t be too orangey. It needs to be more neutral or gold-based.”

Liz added that also this autumn hair is looking more natural. “It’s about playing with different tones of the same colour, rather than adding lots of highlights,” she said.




If your hair needs a bit of TLC, then style director, David Felstead’s new treatment menu (from £20) could restore your hair to its former glory. “For instant results, we can add a conditioner at the backwash, which will last for up to five shampoos” said David. “If you need something stronger, make an appointment and we can analyse your hair and tailor products to suit your specific needs and then put you under a steamer for 15 minutes.”  

I’m trying the new L’Oréal Professionelle Cristalceutic (£35) which contains GlucoMineral. The company claims it will give you colour radiance protection for six weeks. A masque is applied to your hair after the colour has been washed out, followed by a radiance-protecting serum which also works as a styling aid. There is a take-home conditioning treatment course. It will be interesting to see if there is less colour fade at the end of the course.

My colour is getting better and better. “Your hair looks amazing,” shouted out the local flower seller, whom I passed on my way home. When you get those kind of compliments you know your tresses really are looking great.

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin www.danielgalvin.com