Monday 27 February 2012

A visit to Daniel Galvin


Before




Daniel Galvin has been colouring hair for years, so when he took one look at my tresses and said “too dull and brassy”, I took notice.  “There is too much orange in places and in others too much yellow,” he said. He also noticed that I had some – dare I mention – some patches of grey hair showing through. “We need to tone this down immediately. This is not working with your skin tone.” he added. 

Daniel advises against having highlights on tinted hair as they, eventually, make your hair look brassy. “The warmth will come through from your own natural shade,” he told me. “Your hair needs to be just tinted in a flat level 7, a dark blonde [the end result is light brown] that is neither warm or cool. The colour needs to be slightly lighter around the face, so it doesn’t look harsh and make you appear washed out. Leave it to us.”

How many times have I heard those words over the years? So, yes, I felt a little nervous. But, I soon found myself in the capable and reassuring hands of Liz Edmonds, colour director & colour floor director, who together with Daniel concocted the remedy to transform my poor tresses. Liz, too, has worked with colour for several years, most recently in New York.


Beautiful hair


My roots were sorted first and then it was over to the basin where Liz worked her magic on my hair. “You can wear any colour, it’s all about getting the tone right,” she said. As I well know, too light can be just as draining as too dark. One of the things that I was worried about was that my hair was going to be one solid colour, but Liz reassured me that this wasn’t going to be the case.

The result: a rich, glossy, light hazelnut brown with hints of gold. It looks incredibly natural and matches the colour of my eyes, which is what the right hair colour should do. What more can a girl ask for?  

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)