Monday 20 February 2012

A change of hair direction


Working with your hair texture always gives you a better result. So, with last season’s trend for big hair and plenty of waves, I decided to give it ago and grow out my bob and, as they say, go with the flow. And, I have to admit that I actually like wearing my hair slightly curly.
Now, I was back at Mayfair’s Nyumba waiting for the genius that is Michael Charalambous to give me his verdict on where I should be taking my hair this spring.



Michael said that we don’t need to take off any of the length – music to my ears. “Your hair is in good condition, so you can grow it,” he added.

It just shows that cutting down on using heated appliances and blow-dries (some hairdressers rip your hair) and not having so many highlights really does improve the health of your hair. 

Every time I wash my hair I like to use a deep conditioning treatment rather than a normal conditioner as it helps to weigh the hair down and prevent frizz. I like Wella Brilliance Mask for coarse, coloured hair (£10.49). Although my hair is fine, there is a lot of it, and I find this does the trick. Another good one, especially when you are in a hurry, is Pantene Coloured Hair 2 Minutes Colour Damage Rescue Masque (£4.49). 

“I am going to add some inverted layering to give the hair lots of movement and create that lived-in texture, so your hair will fall in soft waves, a key trend for spring,” said Michael. He styled my hair reasonably straight in order to check the cut. When I am drying it myself, I tend to dry it with movement as it is easier. I’ve just tried Bumble and bumble’s new straight line. I find the Straight Shampoo (£23) and Straight Conditioner (£25) help to calm frizz.

The quicker you dry your hair, the faster the cuticle is flattened and, therefore, the hair is less likely to frizz. I use my head like a giant roller, pushing the right side over my head to the left and back again until almost dry. Then I do the other side. The back, I brush forwards and backwards until dry. I use a Philip Kingsley Vented Paddle Brush (£23.20) which has been designed to reduce hair breakage and limit heat damage. If I need some lift or to smooth any pieces, I use a round bristle brush such as ghd Ceramic Vented Radial Brush (size 4, £17.50).

Hair is all about the cut. Michael’s always falls into place when I wash it, which makes my life so much easier. As for colour, which should always work with your cut, he is predicating russet browns, golden chestnuts and coffee blonds blondes. Could I be tempted?

By Daralyn Danns

Nyumba (www.nyumbasalon.com)