Friday 16 December 2011

Destination Paris

© ATOUT FRANCE/Hervé Le Gac

Paris is the city of style. I love the sense of history, the stunning buildings and the wide boulevards. I took the Eurostar, which is “greener” than flying, and comes without the hassle of a lengthy check-in procedure you usually have with airlines nowadays. After a comfortable couple of hours I stepped out into another world. I crammed so much into a day that when I returned to London I felt that my trip had the same benefits as if I have been away for a weekend.

Paris is totally absorbing. All the neighbourhoods have their own distinct personality. It is easy to get round the city using the Metro combined with some leisurely walking. The more aimlessly I wander the more I discover, including great boutiques. After all, the Parisian shops are an important part of the city's identity.


 Le Marais


I started my day in Le Marais, one of the city’s oldest districts which is now rather trendy. It’s where tradition meets modernity. It is easy to while away a couple of hours here roaming the narrow medieval streets, which are peppered with beautiful boutiques crammed with cool fashion and which sit comfortably alongside art galleries and lovely cafés all surrounded by amazing architecture.

Over a cup of coffee I sat chatting to a couple of locals and got a real feel for the place. I never find the Parisians aloof. A word of advice, if you can speak a little French, or at least you show you are trying, people seem to warm more easily to you.

Next on the agenda was rue Faubourg St Honoré, littered with designer labels. There are plenty of shops around this area where you can lighten your wallet. However, don't expect bargains, prices are about the same, and in some cases, dearer than at home.

A shopping trip to Paris wouldn't be complete without a visit to Galleries Lafayette (bd Haussmann). This department store is home to a vast array of brands so it's well worth a visit.

After a rummage round the store, I decided it was time for lunch and headed to visit Lafayette Gourmet. It’s a foodies’ heaven stocked with all the delicacies you could possibly imagine. It also has some superb delis, tasting bars and restaurants.



Les Tuilleries


To burn off the calories, I walked from the Louvre to Place de la Concorde through Les Tuilleries – these gardens truly are magnificent – to take a quick stroll beside the Seine before returning home.

I always leave Paris wanting more. As Eurostar is such a civilised way to travel and there are always good deals for a day, I know it won't be long until I go back.

By Daralyn Danns


Getting there

Eurostar operates up to 18 daily services from London St Pancras International to Paris (fastest London-Paris journey time 2hrs 15mins). Connecting fares available from over 200 stations in the UK. Return fares from £69. Book through eurostar.com or call 08432 186 186.

Worth checking out Eurostar plus, (available with your ticket) for special offers such as 2-for-1 entry into museums and galleries and discounts at shops including Galeries Lafayette as well as restaurants.