Friday 8 July 2011

The Mayfair blow-dry


Warren Holmes, Daralyn Danns, Nicky Clarke (left to right)

Warren Holmes, international creative director at Nicky Clarke has styled the tresses of countless celebrities including Sienna Miller, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and Claudia Winkleman.

I decided to visit the Nicky Clarke salon in Mayfair to see what the maestro would do with mine, a layered bob. “I feel that I want to put my hands through it and mess it up,” he told me as I sat in the chair. “If your hair kicks out at the back let it, if it falls under leave it.” Letting my hair do what it wants sounded a good idea to me as it meant it would last longer and I especially wanted to look glam as I was going to meet two friends at the Sanderson hotel for afternoon tea.

Warren blow-dried my hair and put Velcro rollers into it as he dried each section. After a few minutes he took them out. Ran his hands through my hair and I was magically transformed. I just had to have my picture taken with Nicky Clarke and Warren to capture the moment.

“Your hair looks amazing,” was the response from my friends. I felt like a million dollars, just how I should feel sitting in one of London’s “cool” hotels. The tea, well that was delicious, especially the hazelnut praline ice-cream lollipop which as soon as you bite into it explodes in your mouth! Ah, this is the life, I thought to myself as we sat enjoying our delicacies and sipping champagne.

By Daralyn Danns